Here are the steps for how to do the tree pose (Vrikshasana):
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Shift your weight onto your right foot and lift your left foot off the ground.
- Place the sole of your left foot on the inner right thigh, ankle, or calf (avoid placing it on the knee joint).
- Press your foot into your inner thigh and your inner thigh back into your foot to create a stable base.
- Lift your arms above your head and bring your palms together in prayer position.
- Gaze at a fixed point in front of you to help with balance.
- Hold for a few breaths, then release and repeat on the other side.
It is important to keep your standing leg strong and engaged, and to keep your hips facing forward throughout the pose. If you have difficulty balancing, you can place your raised foot on a block or the edge of a chair for support. As with any yoga pose, it is important to listen to your body and modify as needed to avoid strain or discomfort.