To do Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana), follow these steps:
- Start on all fours with your wrists under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Exhale and tuck your toes under, lifting your hips and straightening your legs.
- Keep your knees slightly bent if you have tight hamstrings, or straighten your legs if you have more flexibility.
- Press your palms into the ground and lift your hips towards the ceiling, creating an inverted V shape with your body.
- Press your heels towards the ground and lift your sitting bones towards the ceiling.
- Keep your neck relaxed and your gaze towards your navel or towards your toes.
- Hold the pose for several deep breaths, then exhale and release back to all fours.